“For grace to be grace, it must give us things we didn’t know we needed and take us to places where we didn’t want to go.”
We had a great gathering tonight, at our annual ‘Membership Meeting’. It’s actually the only business meeting our church has all year. It’s perfunctory; we have an agenda meeting the week before, during which concerns and questions are discussed. We met tonight for dinner, worship and a vote – which went basically like this:
- We forgot the keyboards. Then, we when went back to get them, we forgot the stands. I had to do soundcheck crouched on the floor like a frog in front of the keys. It was ridiculous. And humbling. Just in case I get too big for my britches…
- We forgot to announce that the band needed to go through the buffet line first. So they ended up last. By the time they sat down, it was time to start playing. It wasn’t pretty.
- I got to share some info about a new communications strategy, but I pretty much bored even myself. So that wasn’t so great. But it was good practice for the future.
- The awesome video piece that would make everybody cry as we reflected on the changed lives we’ve been privileged to witness this year? No audio.
- The pastor who worked for five hours to make that awesome video? Frustrated.
“Qualified by grace.”
We’re trying to build a church building. Bricks and mortar cost money.
This is stellar. Props to Carlos.
Can you relate?
Sitting at Cafe Caturra, one of my favorite places in the universe.